Nature-ral High

Nature-ral High
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail

February 7, 2010

Mt. Nagsasa Traverse to Nagsasa Cove Part Deux

After my typhoon trip to Nagsasa last September its inevitable that I will return to fully appreciate the place. Since Nagsasa Cove is a new place for outdoor lovers (especially the trail way), I proposed to PALMC to make it an official climb of the club, with me taking the job as the EL.
I won't go much into details on how to go to the place since I've already done it in my previous entry to this blog. For starters, its already summer and the most noticeable difference from last time is that the trail is very dry. With almost everything colored brown. Most of the rivers don't have water and what you can only see are big chunks of stones. The very opposite the last time. Its still recommended that you trek very early morning so that you can escape the scorching heat of the sun. And be at the cove around 09:00am before the heat of the sun peaks.
There are parts of the trail which had been burned by locals. According to our guide some locals do this to refresh the grass(new grass will grow for cows). Some parts was still burning when we passed by that we can still feel the burning heat. The cove is now starting to be commercialize. There are several picnic tables now and several bathrooms have been erected. There are a few sari-sari stores too, with the price of goods double that of SRP.
The next day there are participants of the climb who took the boat. We were scheduled to trek back, other than I don't want to ride a fishing boat for almost two hours, I also want to dip at Pinaglaban River. A big river that almost look like a small lake, where water is continually flowing. The only problem with trekking back is that you cant escape the burning heat of the sun. We left the cove around 11:00am, just when the sun is directly above us.

I have several experience in organizing climbs but this is the first time I have this much participant (25pax). And most specialy this is the first time I've been an EL for PALMC official climb. I never imagined it was this difficult hehe. But it was a very succesfull climb. I learned a lot from this experience, and hopefully I can use it if ever I'll be an EL again
.





Balingkilat on the background


Dry Trail


Nagsasa cove from top of Mt. Nagsasa


Can't believe its this dry



Nice Sand







Pinaglabanan river

2 comments:

  1. Hey I'm glad I found your blog. I have done some climbing and backpacking around the U.S. for several years. I am moving to Manila later this spring and am looking for other hikers and climbers in the area. Feel free to send me an email at barrydansmith@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Barry its been 3 years. Hoping we can climb again. See you soon.

      Delete